Here is a list of our frequently asked questions:
1) I'd like to arrange an event at AUT – how should I go about this?
2) I'm an AUT staff member, is it possible to see what rooms are available?
3) Do I have to be an AUT employee to hold an event at AUT?
4) Why should I use Hospitality Services to arrange my event or conference?
5) Can you create and manage online registration pages for my event or conference?
6) What's the difference between an event and a conference?
7) Can I use my own catering and AV suppliers in your conference centres?
8) Can I book events during exam times or for next year?
9) We're on a tight budget; can we provide our own alcohol?
10) Is Hospitality Services run by AUT students?
11) How can I pay for my conference or event?
12) What time frames and deadlines should I keep in mind when planning an event or conference?
13) Can you cater for a range of dietary requirements?
14) I have a meeting on a budget – what options are available for inexpensive catering?
15) What is the address for the new Sir Paul Reeves Building?
16) What are my parking options at the City Campus?
17) How much are the AUT venues?
18) Does your pricing include GST?
1 - I'd like to arrange an event at AUT – how should I go about this?
Your event is then disseminated to the appropriate team member and we will call you to discuss your requirements filling in any gaps before confirming an appropriate venue, and giving an indicative indication of costs.
2 - I'm an AUT staff member, is it possible to see what rooms are available?
You can get an indication of room availability and then book a room at all our campuses. This is the Time Tabling Department Site and holds priority over all bookings.
The information around the bookings in this system is very limited, and if there is an AUT Hospitality Services booking over your required dates, its worth giving us a call to discuss what's going on.
Please note if you require a "room only booking" we recommend booking this directly through the Time Tabling site. If you require a room booking and any other services i.e catering or audio visual services, we recommend filling out the event inquiry and emailing it to us.
3 - Do I have to be an AUT employee to hold an event at AUT?
No - Hospitality Services, provide event management services for internal and external clients.
We have successfully managed many gala dinners, meetings, business lunches and cocktail receptions for corporate companies, charities and Professional Conference Organisers.
4 - Why should I use Hospitality Services to arrange my event or conference on campus?
- Last year (2017) Hospitality Services organised in excess of 2300 events across AUT Campuses which approximately 153,035 people attended. We are the one stop shop for all event and conference enquiries on campus. Checkout some of our client testimonials highlighting our quality service and products.
- Hospitality Services is responsible for booking all public spaces, this can only be booked with us.
- We have a very clear understanding of all University logistics, policy and protocol, particularly around Health and Safety.
- We are an internal, University owned department. Therefore:
- Your event spend stays "in house" where possible
- The University and your budget benefits from our buying power when we do have to source external equipment
- We all come under the AUT brand umbrella so we are genuinely passionate about the outcome of your project, because it's our project too and we are all on the same team.
5 - Can you create and manage online registration pages for my event or conference?
Yes, we have a full service online Event Registration system which accommodates ICD, Credit Card and invoice methods of payment which complies with AUT University Payment Policy and best practice.The System also accommodates Electronic Direct Mail (EDM) for event promotion and online Abstract Submission and Management.
6 - What's the difference between an event and a conference?
There is no difference.
AAUT Hospitality Services, we see conferences as another type of event. All our team are well versed in all manner of events including conferences.
If you are wanting to host or bid for a conference your first point of contact is firstname.lastname@example.org.
7 - Can I use my own catering and AV suppliers on at AUT?
No, Hospitality Services are the exclusive catering, liquor and AV suppliers for all events which take place in any public space or conference center across all AUT University Campuses.
8 - Can I book events during exam, semester, orientation times or for next year?
All event venues are used for exams during the exam periods and silence is required in all public space over this time. Students need to study and attend exams, they must take priority over everything.
However in some cases exceptions can be made.
i.e If you are wanting to display art for example in an exhibition format in a public space this could work, please talk to us with your requirements and we will do our best to accommodate.
Spaces can not be booked in the time tabling systems for next year until the academic time table is finalised and opened to staff which normally happens in late November for the following year.
However, Hospitality Services work very closely with time tabling and run a space booking calendar system of our own in parallel with the Time Tabling system.
We are across all academic dates for the next 5 years which include things like Orientation, Exams, Semester Breaks and our normal AUT owned event commitments like the VC Academic Excellence Awards for example.
While nothing is guaranteed, we can take future bookings, advise of red flags and suggest alternative dates with a high level of accuracy.
We highly recommend talking to us first with your requirements
9 - We're on a tight budget; can we provide our own alcohol?
Yes, you can provide your own alcohol.
However, AUT Hospitality Services hold the liquor license and is alternately responsible for all liquor served on our campuses and there are restrictions which must be adhered to.
Licensed staffing and host responsibility are important parts of this.
You can view our full liquor policy in the Event Policy and Protocol document.
10 - Is Hospitality Services run by AUT students?
No, Hospitality Services is not run by AUT students. We are a department within the Estates Division of AUT. The department is managed and run by seasoned hospitality professionals.
Students do apply for roles within Hospitality Services and we have a number of AUT alumni working within the team.
11 - How can I pay for my conference or event?
This depends on how you have chosen to categorise your event:
- Internal events can be paid for by Internal Charge Docket (ICD) only
- Internally Sponsored External Events can be paid for by invoice / Credit Card or by ICD but not by both methods on a single event.
- External events can only be paid for by Credit Card or Invoice
NB: Events being paid for by invoice post event must go through a credit application process.
12 - What time frames and deadlines should I keep in mind when planning an event or conference?
Rooms are booked on a first come first served basis and are often in high demand. Your booking needs to be made as early as possible.
Catering numbers must be confirmed no later than 48 business hours prior to the commencement of your event.
We highly recommend efficient communication with Hospitality around attendee numbers in the weeks leading up to your event.
13 - Can you cater for a range of dietary requirements?
Yes, we cater for vegetarian, vegan, Halal, gluten and dairy free.
Organic and sustainable options can also be catered depending on seasonality, however costs will vary from those laid out in our menus. Let us know what your requirements are and we'll do our best to accommodate you.
14 - I have a meeting on a small budget – what options are available for inexpensive catering?
We have two catering options available:
- If you're on a budget and require basic catering, we can offer a drop off service. Your catering will be delivered in disposable, biodegradable packaging to your venue. Refreshments are also available. View the catering menu.
- If you require full service catering for your event or function. View our events menu for more details.
15 - What is the address for the new Sir Paul Reeves Building?
55 Wellesley Street East or 2 Governor Fitzroy Place'
Auckland University of Technology, City Campus
16 - What are my parking options at the City Campus?
Parking can be found in the Wilson's car parking on Symonds Street.
There is also street parking available. This is pay and display from 8am to 6pm.
17 - How much are the AUT venues?
The venues prices vary depending on the space. Please contact the Events team to discuss suitable options for your event. Please note:
- AUT staff who organise events for AUT students, prospective students or other AUT staff or will incur no room hire fees but may incur a set up charge to cover set up costs. These events are categorised as Internal Events
- External agencies who hold an event in partnership with AUT, for the benefit of AUT will receive a 25% discount on venue hire. These events are categorised as internally sponsored external events.
- External events held at AUT by companies or associations other than AUT will be charged full venue hire fees. These are categorised as External events.
For a full explanation checkout our Event Policy and Protocol document.
18 - Does your pricing include GST?
No, our prices are quoted excluding GST