Here is a list of our frequently asked questions:
1) I'd like to arrange an event at AUT – how should I go about this?
2) I'm an AUT staff member, is it possible to see what rooms are available?
3) Do I have to be an AUT employee to hold an event at AUT?
4) Why should I use Hospitality Services to arrange my event or conference on campus?
5) Can you create and manage online registration pages for my event or conference?
6) What's the difference between an event and a conference?
7) Can I use my own catering and AV suppliers in your conference centres?
8) Can I book events during exam times or for next year?
9) We're on a tight budget; can we provide our own alcohol?
10) Is Hospitality Services run by AUT students?
11) How can I pay for my conference or event?
12) What time frames and deadlines should I keep in mind when planning an event or conference?
13) Can you cater for a range of dietary requirements?
14) I have a meeting on a budget – what options are available for inexpensive catering?
15) What is the address for the new Sir Paul Reeves Building?
16) What are my parking options at the City Campus?
17) How much are the AUT venues?
18) Does your pricing include GST?
19) What are different event types?
20) How can i book executive residences for visiting lectures or guests of AUT?
1 - I'd like to arrange an event at AUT – how should I go about this?
Your event is then disseminated to the appropriate team member and we will call you to discuss your requirements further filling in any gaps before confirming an appropriate venue, and giving an indicative indication of costs.
2 - I'm an AUT staff member, is it possible to see what rooms are available?
You can get an indication of room availability and then book a room at all our campuses by clicking here >>. This is the Time Tabling Department Site and holds priority over all bookings.
The information around the bookings in this system is very limited and if there is an AUT Hospitality Services booking over your required dates its worth giving us a call to discuss what’s going on.
Please note if you require a “room only booking” we recommend booking this directly through the Time Tabling site. If you require a room booking and any other services i.e catering or audio visual services, we recommend filling out the event inquiry and emailing it to us.
3 - Do I have to be an AUT employee to hold an event at AUT?
No - Hospitality Services, provide event management services for internal and external clients.
We have successfully managed many gala dinners, meetings, business lunches and cocktail receptions for corporate companies, charities and Professional Conference Organisers.
4 - Why should I use Hospitality Services to arrange my event or conference on campus?
1. Last year (2017), Hospitality Services organised over 1000 events across AUT Campuses which approximately 106,000 people attended. We are the one stop shop for all event and conference inquiries on campus. Checkout some of our client testimonials highlighting our quality service and products.
2. We work very closely with all faculty and departments across the entire University, therefore we are on the pulse and know what’s going on.
3. We have a very clear understanding of all University logistics, policy and protocol, particularly around Health and Safety.
4. We are an internal, University owned department. Therefore:
a. Your event spend stays “in house” where possible
b. The University and your budget benefits from our buying power when we do have to source external equipment
c. We all come under the AUT brand umbrella so we are genuinely passionate about the outcome of your project, because it’s our project too.
5 - Can you create and manage online registration pages for my event or conference?
Yes, we have a full service online Event Registration system which accommodates ICD, Credit Card and invoice methods of payment which complies with AUT University Payment Policy and best practice.
The System also accommodates Electronic Direct Mail (EDM) for event promotion and online Abstract Submission and Management
6 - What's the difference between an event and a conference?
There is no difference. At AUT Hospitality Serves we see conferences as another type of event. All our team are well versed in all manner of events including conferences. If you are wanting to host or bid for a conference your first point of contact is the events team at: email@example.com.
7 - Can I use my own catering and AV suppliers on at AUT?
No, Hospitality Services are the exclusive catering, liquor and AV suppliers for all events which take place in any public space or conference centre including WG308 Te Iringa room.
8 - Can I book events during exam times or for next year?
No, all event venues will be used for exams during the exam periods and silence is required in all public space over this time. Students need to study and attend exam’s, they must take priority over everything.
9 - We're on a tight budget; can we provide our own alcohol?
Yes, you may provide your own alcohol. However, AUT Hospitality Services hold the liquor licence and is alternately responsible. So there are restrictions which must be adhered. Things like licenced staffing and host responsibility are important parts of this. You can our full liquor policy in pour event protocol document by clicking here
10 - Is Hospitality Services run by AUT students?
No, Hospitality Services is not run by AUT students. We are a department within the Estates Division of AUT. The department is managed and run by seasoned hospitality professionals.
Students do apply for roles within Hospitality Services and we have a numbers of AUT alumni working within the team.
11 - How can I pay for my conference or event?
This depends on how you have chosen to categorise your event:
Internal events can be paid for by ICD only
Internally Sponsored External Events can be paid for by invoice / Credit Card or by ICD but not by both methods on a single event.
External events can only be paid for by Credit Card or Invoice
NB: Events being paid for by invoice post event must go through a credit application process.
12 - What time frames and deadlines should I keep in mind when planning an event of conference?
Rooms are booked on a first come first served basis and are often in high demand. There booking need to be made as early as possible.
Catering numbers must be confirmed no later than 48 business hours prior to the commencement of your event.
We highly recommend efficient communication with Hospitality around attendee numbers in the weeks leading up to your event.
13 - Can you cater for a range of dietary requirements?
Yes, we cater for vegetarian, vegan Halal, gluten and dairy free. Organic and sustainable options can also be catered too depending on seasonality, however costs will vary from those laid out in our menus. Let us know what your requirements are and we'll do our best to accommodate you.
14 - I have a meeting on a budget – what options are available for inexpensive catering?
We have two catering options available:
* If you're on a budget and require basic catering, we can offer a drop off service. Your catering will be delivered in disposable, biodegradable packaging to your venue. Refreshments are also available. Click here >> to view the catering menu.
* If you require full service catering for your event or function, click here to view our events and functions menu.
15 - What is the address for the new Sir Paul Reeves Building?
55 Wellesley Street East or 2 Governor Fitzroy Place
AUT University, City Campus
16 - What are my parking options at the City Campus?
Parking can be found in the Wilson's car parking buildings, either on St. Pauls Street or Wakefield Street.
There is also street parking available. This is pay and display from 8am to 6pm.
17 - How much are the AUT venues?
The venues prices vary depending on the space. Please contact the Events team to discuss suitable options for your event. Please note:
* AUT staff who organise events for AUT students, prospective students or other AUT staff or will incur no room hire fees but may incur a set up charge to cover set up costs. These events are categorised as Internal Events
* External agencies who hold an event in partnership with AUT, for the benefit of AUT will receive a 25% discount on venue hire. These events are categorised as internally sponsored external events.
* External events held at AUT by companies or associations other than AUT will be charged full venue hire fees. These are categorised as External events.
For a full explanation click here>> to view our Event Policy and Protocol document.
18 - Does your pricing include GST?
No, our prices are quoted excluding GST
19 - What are different event types?
Event types helps you understand which event category your event belongs to.
Internal Events: those managed and delivered by AUT for the benefit of staff, students and prospective students will incur no room hire fees but may incur a room setup fee and/or an event coordination fee dependent on requirements, to cover staffing costs. These events are paid for internally by ICD or equivalent only.
Internally Sponsored External Events: those carried out in conjunction with an external agency but in partnership with AUT for the benefit of AUT and its brand. These events will be eligible for a 25% discount on room hire and equipment fees. These events will incur costs to cover staffing or labour as required, as well as any other associated services provided. These events are paid for externally by invoice (note: payment cannot be split). A sponsorship form will need to be filled out and sent to AUT Hospitality Services with sponsorship approved by a Director/Senior Manager of AUT.
External Events: Events held on AUT premises by companies, associations and organisations other than AUT. These events will incur full commercial costs related to the event and will have an external entity paying for the event by invoice. Additional charges shall be passed on in full for catering, room setup, additional cleaning and other services required.
Partnered Events: Events that are delivered in partnership with a third party for the express benefit and promotion of AUT. All partner events must originate with or be authorised by the Director Commercial Partnerships. These events will be free of room hire but all other costs will apply and are delivered and charged through Hospitality Services.
For further information, please refer to our Terms and Conditions.
20 - How can i book executive residences for visiting lectures or guests of AUT?
Executive Residences is only bookable through Hospitality Services which offers a selection of apartments based on your needs. Please complete the booking form and send your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This option is only available to AUT Staff members and visiting faculties.